Capistrano Swallow Bell - El Camino Real10-04002
A brass swallow mounted to the top of a 2" x 2" bell. The bell reads "El Camino Real" on the base and also the dates of 1769 and 1906. 1769 is the date of the first mission in San Diego and 1906 is the date that the first guidepost bell was installed in front of the Old Plaza Church in downtown Los Angeles.
The swallow is a symbol of the miracle of the Swallows of Capistrano which takes place each year on March 19 (St. Joseph’s Day) at Mission San Juan Capistrano. Swallows migrate 6,000 miles from Goya, Argentina to San Juan Capistrano in large groups. The town of San Juan Capistrano welcomes visitors from all parts of the world to witness the return of the swallows, a tradition that has been celebrated since the early 1930s.
We Also Recommend
California Missions - A Guide to the Historic Trails of the Padres - 1st Edition10-26008
California Missions Painted and Described - Signed 1st Edition10-26006